Google Apps Script Complete Course New IDE 100+ Examples
Google Apps Script New Version 2021 Create custom functions within G Suite Docs Sheets GMail Drive Calendar and more
What you’ll learn
Create custom functions within GSuite Apps Docs Sheets Gmail Slides
Explore how to write Google Apps Script Code within G Suite App
Create Google Script to power Google Apps
Create custom functions and macros for Google Sheets
Add custom menus, dialogs, and sidebars to Google Docs, Sheets, and Forms
Publish web apps — either standalone or embedded in Google Sites
Interact with other Google services
Build add-ons to extend Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms
Basic Web development understanding
New IDE – More functions – Exciting new Course!!!!
Google Apps Script is a rapid application development platform that makes it fast and easy to create business applications that integrate with Google Workspace.
- Access to built in libraries that can really power up your Google Workspace App
- Connect Google Workspace applications like Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and more.
- Interact with other Google services Calendar, Drive, Gmail, and Maps.
- Nothing to install – code editor right in your browser
- Your scripts run on Google’s servers
- Extending Google Workspace with Add-ons
Loaded with Google Apps Script Code Examples – 100s of code snippets to do amazing things with Google G Suite – Sample projects to create advanced functionality with Google Apps – Google Services
- Add custom menus, dialogs, and sidebars to Google Docs, Sheets, and Forms.
- Publish web apps — either standalone or embedded in Google Sites.
- Create customized user interfaces that are directly integrated into Google Workspace applications.
- Boost workflow efficiency when working with Google Workspace by automating or streamlining tasks
- Connect to non-Google services within Google Workspace applications, allowing you to retrieve or upload data from those services into and from Google Workspace
Google apps script works the way you expect and need it to work – its by far my favorite coding language – if you’ve never used Apps Script before then this is something that you must try. Once you start writing code with apps script it will change everything.
Google Workspace services are services that let you access the data of Google Workspace products such as Drive, Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, and others. These services are separate from APIs created for those products; in general, Google Workspace services are easier to use than Google Workspace APIs, but are optimized for only the most common use cases.
Taught by a Google Developer Expert recognized GDE – with over 20 years of Coding Experience specializing in Google Apps Script – ready to help you learn more about creating amazing things with Google Apps Script.
Introduction to Getting Started with Google Apps Script
- Standalone vs Bound Scripts
- Script editor and Apps Script Dashboard
- Writing Code creating Apps Script create a Doc with Script
- What’s New with Apps Script Editor
- Creating and Deploying a Webapp doGet() – HTML output in WebApp URL
- Deployment of webapp Dev version and Exec Version.
Google Apps Script Sheets Spreadsheet Service Class SpreadsheetApp
This service allows scripts to create, access, and modify Google Sheets files. Access and create Google Sheets files.
- How Macros work – generating Google Apps Script with Macro Recordings in Sheets
- SpreadsheetApp Class – Selecting Spreadsheet to manipulate with Code
- SpreadsheetApp methods SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet()
- Selecting Sheets within a Spreadsheet – Spreadsheet object methods – Get data and contents of a Sheet into an array. sheet.getDataRange() data.getValues() sheet.getName()
- Standalone script selecting a sheet by URL or ID. List sheets – update sheet names sheet.setName();
- Create New Sheets on the fly with Apps Script – insertSheet()
- Sheet ranges – updating the background colors of cells, selecting cells and ranges of cells. getRange() getRange(a1Notation) A1Notation the default method used for creating (and displaying) cell references to other cells. All cell addresses in A1 notation consist of a column letter and a row number
- Get range by numeric row and column values. sheet.getRange(rows,cols) range.setBackground(backColor) , range.setFontColor(‘white’), range.setFontSize(mySize+cols), range.setValue(total); getRange(row, column)
- MultiDimension arrays for content rows within the sheet. Get the range update content getRange(row, column, numRows, numColumns) getRange(row, column, numRows)
- Debugging and Dashboard settings
- Sheet object common methods – getLastColumn() getLastRow()
- Get Selection getSelection()
- Mini App – Copy Sheet Data to other part of Sheet
- Get all the Data range from Sheet object sheet.getDataRange(); Returns a Range corresponding to the dimensions in which data is present.
- Dialogs and custom UI buttons – UI Menu within Sheets
- Append Row – add new rows – Add row on top appendRow(rowContents)
- Insert insertRows(rowIndex)
- Cell Formulas – spreadsheet.getRange().activate() .setFormula()
- Custom Functions using the custom function Using a custom function – Is Email mini App
- Mini App – Copy Sheet to another new sheet
- Adding Notes to Cells
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – Create a Custom Logger into a Sheet – track messages into log
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – Create a custom Prepend Function Prepend Row Exercise
Google Apps Script Docs Document Service Class DocumentApp
This service allows scripts to create, access, and modify Google Docs files. The document service creates and opens Documents that can be edited.
Bound Script getActiveDocument()
- Select and add Content to Body getBody() appendParagraph() appendPageBreak()
- StandAlone Script DocumentApp.openById()
- Add Body Content appendHorizontalRule()
- Create a Doc using Script DocumentApp.create()
- Get Doc properties add to itself within the new Doc
- Set Name Get Editors and Get URL
- Select Text getText()
- Translate selected Content to Spanish LanguageApp.translate()
- body.getParagraphs() select and update text within Paragraphs
- DocumentApp Types and setting of DocumentApp.TextAlignment
- Body Get Children getChild() .setFontSize() .getNumChildren() with loop to iterate body children element containers
- Style Attributes DocumentApp.Attribute
- Replace text body.replaceText()
- el.setAttributes(); using attribute object values and properties
- Clear body content
- Add list items
- Add Tables data types
- DocumentApp UI prompt and alert
- Active User Session.getActiveUser()
- UI DocumentApp showModalDialog() HTML output HTML from File
- Cursor position getCursor()
- editAsText() set part of text as bold
- Selected Text toUpperCase() getActiveDocument().getSelection()
- Adding Bookmarks with Code addBookmark()
- Insert Image into Document
- ReplaceText Exercise
- Exercise Sheet data to Doc Table
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – Add Text within the doc press menu button
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – Find and highlight text from Doc Content
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – Insert Images in Doc content Insert Images
Google Apps Script Drive Service Class DriveApp
This service allows scripts to create, find, and modify files and folders in Google Drive.
Selecting files log all the file names from the drive
- Introduction to Apps Script DriveApp Service getFiles
- How to Get Files in specific Folder using DriveApp Service
- Create a File HTML file make files within your gDrive apps script DriveApp Create a File
- Drive details get storage Get info and gdrive folder Drive Details
- Classes File Class
- Trash files move to trash Send Files to Trash with Google Apps Script
- File permissions set File Access Permissions with Google Apps Script
- Class FileIterator
- Folders Class Folder
- Set permissions and remove permission on Folder
- Get details of Folder Class FolderIterator
- User Object
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge – create an app to list folder details into Sheet
- Coding App MiniProject Move File from one folder to another
- Coding App MiniProject Search files return file object
- Coding App MiniProject Add and Remove Editors
- Coding App MiniProject Webapp folder urls in webapp from Search
Google Apps Script Gmail Service Class GmailApp
This Service lets you send email, compose drafts, manage labels, mark messages and threads, and conduct a variety of other Gmail account management tasks. See also Mail Service, a simpler service that only allows the sending of email.
Mail Service vs GmailApp Service sendEmail(recipient, subject, body) This service allows scripts to send email on a user’s behalf. Unlike Gmail Service, Mail Service’s sole purpose is sending email; it cannot access a user’s Gmail account. This service allows users to send emails with complete control over the content of the email. Sending an email in Mail Service sendEmail(recipient, subject, body, options) getRemainingDailyQuota() Sending an email in Mail Service sendEmail
- Sending an email in GmailApp Service sendEmail(recipient, subject, body) sendEmail(recipient, subject, body, options) How to send emails – Sending Emails with Apps Script
- Create a draft email createDraft(recipient, subject, body, options) Drafts email in GmailApp Service
- getMessage() method in emails Threads within Gmail using GmailApp Service Inbox Threads.
- Sending an email from HTML template file
- Coding App MiniProject Use Doc as Email template
- Replace of content in email use it as a template
- Coding App MiniProject how to use Spreadsheet data list to Send Emails
- HTML Body
- Coding App MiniProject Challenge send bulk emails from list in Sheets
- GmailApp Chat threads
- Making a draft email
- Mark message as read markMessageRead(message) Marks this message read and forces the message to refresh.
- Add a Star to Message starMessage(message) getStarredThreads(start, max) Retrieves a range of starred threads irrespective of labels.
- Get user labels apply labels getUserLabels() Retrieves a list of user-created labels.
- moveMessageToTrash(message) Message object
- Search for message contents search(query, start, max) Search Gmail with the given query.
- Coding App MiniProject Class GmailAttachment – send and create attachments – Get attachments GmailApp Attachment Class
- access Chat Threads GmailApp class using Apps Script
- find messages – apps script GmailApp Search.
Google Apps Script Calendar Service Class CalendarApp
This service allows a script to access and modify the user’s Google Calendar, including additional calendars that the user is subscribed to. Allows a script to read and update the user’s Google Calendar. This class provides direct access to the user’s default calendar, as well as the ability to retrieve additional calendars that the user owns or is subscribed to.
CalendarApp add location to info Class Calendar
- Get Events with options
- Full day events within the calendar
- Add events with series
- Selecting Calendars using CalendarApp Class Code example
- Delete create and hide calendar
- How to update Google Calendar Name add Description
- Update calendar color , description and name
- Select and Update Calendar Events CalendarApp Event Class Examples
- Create Events
- Project – Challenge – Spreadsheet Calendar Lister – CalendarApp and SpreadsheetApp Project
- Calendar Event Guest
- Calendar Event Class using Google Apps Script
- Get Guest details – update guests add and remove guest class
- EventGuest updates Represents a guest of an event.
- EventRecurrence class set the recurrence settings for an event series.
- GuestStatus get guest statuses a guest can have for an event.
- Update RecurrenceRule which represents a recurrence rule for an event series.
- Coding App MiniProject Spreadsheet Calendar Lister – CalendarApp and SpreadsheetApp Project
- create Events CalendarApp within Google Calendar with Apps Script
Google Apps Script Slides Service Class SlidesApp
This service allows scripts to create, access, and modify Google Slides files. Google Slides documentation and features of the Slides service.
- Create a Slide – open by slide id
- How to use Slides Service Class SlidesApp with Google Apps Script
- Slides Bound Script Updates select slides within Google Slides and get Slides Update them
- Slides UI Add a custom menu to the active presentation, including a separator and a sub-menu
- A slide in a presentation. Class Slide
- Coding App MiniProject remove a slide from Google Slides presentation Remove Slide Button
- add custom menu options for Slides Users SlideApp UI Menu
- Presentation Class – appendSlide add Editor set Slide Background
- Update textStyle Background Color Get TextRanges Get Page Elements Get Slides
- Add UI menu button to duplicate Slide from Current Selection Code Example
- Insert Drive Images with UI button Delete and remove selected Slides
- List layouts Update Master Find text in shapes and remove shapes Source Code
- Coding App MiniProject Create a Presentation from Sheets Generate Slides from Sheet data – Project
Google Apps Script Forms Service Class FormApp
This service allows scripts to create, access, and modify Google Forms. Allows a script to open an existing Form or create a new one.
- Create a form create a form with Apps Script Forms Service Create a Form
- Add Items to a form grid items, multiple choice and date items
- Get Form items update
- Update existing form items with new values make required
- Add items to Form using Google Apps Script to Google Form using FormApp
- setup Feedback within Google Form Feedback Within Form
- FormApp Class FormResponse
- Setting form to quiz
- Adding Form Feedback
- Setting Form to Quiz updating adding Feedback to form choices
- Coding App MiniProject FormResponses into Sheet Project Get form responses add to spreadsheet Project
- Coding App MiniProject send Google Form Responses list them within a Google Sheet FormResponse
- Coding App MiniProject How to Create a Math Quiz in Google Forms Apps Script Quiz Generator Project
- Set Progressbar shuffle questions add Scale Item Examples
Google Apps Script Google Workspace services
Google Workspace services are easier to use than Google Workspace APIs, but are optimized for only the most common use cases. Coding examples of common Google Apps Script Services
- Class ContactsApp within Google Services Apps Script
- use LanguageApp Service within Google Apps Script
- generate Maps using Maps Service within Google Apps Script
- Google Apps Script Base Services Examples of Code
- Coding Example using Content Service with Apps Script
- Coding Example HTML Service within Google Apps Script
- Send data from client side back to Google Apps Script Class google script host
- Google WebApp Client Side data scriptlets services Host services Google
- Store values within Google Apps Script Class PropertiesService User Doc or script
- Create a request to http endpoint API using UrlFetchApp Class
Google Apps Script Common Services Mini Apps and Useful Coding Examples
Examples of mini projects and Code examples for applying Google Apps Script to Create added functionality within G Suite Services
- Coding App MiniProject Create Charts in Google Spreadsheets setup Sheets
- Coding App MiniProject add Charts to Slides Create Slides Presentation
- Coding App MiniProject Create PDF in Drive email as Attachment Slides as PDF in Drive.
- Coding App MiniProject – Docs UI menu Interactive
- Coding App MiniProject – Sheets UI menu button for advanced interaction
- Getting to know Sheets Simple Triggers on Edit and Change run some code
- Create a webapp onGet onPost Simple triggers with Apps Script
- Automation setup Triggers run code on events and regular time intervals
Creating a multi page webapp with apps script
Interactive Document custom functions Introduction Document UI File Docs Interactive Project
Custom webapp Quiz Setup from sheets using a web app
Explore how to deploy your apps script project as an Addon Extending Google Workspace. Add-ons are customized applications that integrate with Google Workspace productivity applications such as Gmail, Google Sheets, and Google Docs.
Taught by a Google Developer Expert instructor with over 20 years of web dev experience ready to help you learn more about Google Apps Script
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to create amazing things using Google Scripts
- Web developers who want to incorporate Google Script functionality
- Application developers who want to access the power of Google G Suite
- App Script Google Script developers
Created by Laurence Svekis
Last updated 4/2021
Size: 8.84 GB